Fartlek is a type of training where you do long, straight swimming interjected with random bursts of speed. (Fartlek is Swedish for “speed play.”)
Here’s an example. Let’s say you were doing a 1500 swim with a swim snorkel mounted to your grill. Every 200 or so you would break into a full sprint for a period of a 25-50m, and then dial it back down to an easy, long pace for another 200 or so meters, alternating between medium paced swimming and sprinting for the duration of the rep or set.
Example Sets from yourswimlog.com:
2,500m freestyle kick with a board – Leg conditioning 101.
- Pick 15m of the 4th 25 of every 100 to go fast on. Alternate between the first 15m of the 25, the middle 15m, and the final 15m.
2,000m freestyle with snorkel – Stroke count deluxe!
- Swim 35 strokes at a controlled, relaxed pace. Focus on a consistent kick and high elbow catch.
- Swim 15 strokes at a full sprint (go fast into the walls if you hit a turn before the 15 strokes comes up)
- You’ll end up doing fast work in every area of the pool—some will be into the wall including a flip turn, some mid-length, some breaking out.
LEARN HOW TO ‘SWIM FASTER IN 30 DAYS” – CLICK GREEN IMAGE BELOW
JOIN THE 3030 ACCOUNTABILITY CLUB
Does the following sound like you?
- Need motivation, support, and guidance in your pursuit of fitness
- Looking to get in-shape for an upcoming event or activity?
- Unsure of how to get started and what to do?
With a combined 50+ years of experience Weight Training, Ironman Triathlon racing, Bodybuilding, and One-on-One Coaching, the Endurance Hour Team of Dave Erickson and Wendy Mader can help!
We will send you a new 30 minute workout everyday for the next 30 days to your phone via video/text message (6 Days On, 1 Day Off: Active Recovery)
Here's how it works. You'll first get a personalized video the day before your workout followed by a text version. If applicable, you'll also get a private video link to demonstrations on how to perform each exercise.
Your job is to complete the workout and then text us back photo-proof in the form of watch data, sweaty selfie, equipment display, etc. Your choice. That's it.
It's a daily accountability support system designed to boost your fitness goals, habits and lifestyle. You can do this and we can help!
Choose between two options:
Strength and Conditioning
Equipment: Dumbbells and/or Body Weight
Strictly Cardio (4 Plans)
Run Only, Bike Only, Swim Only or bike/run combo
All Bike and Run Workouts are Based on Your Rate of Perceived Exertion.
Membership is only $59 - All Sessions Begin the First of Every Month - Limited to 20 New Athletes Each Month - Signup Early!