The elliptical trainer and the treadmill are popular cardio gym equipment. Both of which are noted for facilitating for comprehensive cardiovascular exercises. While also fast tracking the fat burning process, not to mention enhancing their users overall aerobic capacity. Nevertheless, each of these equipment can present unique benefits when compared to the other. To this end, the following is an elliptical trainer vs. treadmill review that will attempt to outline the advantages and shortcomings of each of these gym machines.
Elliptical trainer pros
• An elliptical machine permits your body to easily simulate a running or jogging motion, without in any way triggering impact on your joints as a treadmill would.
• Virtually all elliptical bikes usually come with moveable handles, which enables you to work out your upper body and lower body at the same time.
• This gym equipment also facilitates for reverse stride training that can effectually stimulate various muscle groups in your body.
• Finally, research has revealed that individuals tend to exercise harder than they really perceive while utilizing an elliptical trainer.
Elliptical trainer cons
• Unlike a treadmill, an elliptical machine doesn’t come with an incline adjustment feature. This prevents it from offering optimal variations in terms of a regular workout regimen.
• While presenting less impact, an elliptical trainer ‘s pedals are suspended in the air, and therefore it possesses a lesser weight-bearing effect.
• Treadmills are widely acclaimed for their unparalleled versatility. You can opt to walk at a brisk pace, jog or even engage in an uphill sprint. These machines are known to present a wide variety of workout options when it comes to speed, incline and in-built exercise programs.
• As technology advances, fitness experts are developing new equipment, most of which can be awkward to utilize. As it can mimic natural motion, the treadmill is fortunately not affected by this issue.
• Propelling your weight necessitates a lot of exertion as a result your body will be in a position of burning more calories in a very rapid manner.
• Treadmills have been in existence since the 19th century. This means they have undergone extensive research and development, and are thus more perfected than any other cardio equipment.
• Making use of a treadmill can have a negative effort on your joints. Running on such machine exerts significant stress on the spinal cord, hips, knees and even the ankle joints. This is especially true if you don’t stretch or warm-up prior to using it.
• Some recent research has revealed that the actual size of the treadmill belt you run on can trigger alterations in the way you walk or run, which leads to muscle imbalances.
The elliptical trainer can be excellent equipment for those who wish to enhance their cardiovascular fitness with a decreased impact. A treadmill, on the other hand, presents more versatility as its motor will oblige you to exercise beyond your “comfort” zone. Depending on your given needs and preferences, you can choose which is best to integrate in your regular workout routine.
If that article motivated you, maybe it’s time to get on a training plan!? If so, you’re going to LOVE “Marathon Training Made Easy“. Watch this short video to learn more.
Leave us a VOICEMAIL question anytime from your laptop, desktop or cell phone.
If you’d like to be a guest on the show or know someone who should be on the show, email Dave@DaveEricksonMedia.com with “Podcast Guest” in the subject line. Brands, Sponsors and Collaborators, please email us with “Podcast Partnership” in the subject line.
The Endurance Hour is a Dave Erickson Media Production.
JOIN THE 3030 ACCOUNTABILITY CLUB
Does the following sound like you?
- Need motivation, support, and guidance in your pursuit of fitness
- Looking to get in-shape for an upcoming event or activity?
- Unsure of how to get started and what to do?
With a combined 50+ years of experience Weight Training, Ironman Triathlon racing, Bodybuilding, and One-on-One Coaching, the Endurance Hour Team of Dave Erickson and Wendy Mader can help!
We will send you a new 30 minute workout everyday for the next 30 days to your phone via video/text message (6 Days On, 1 Day Off: Active Recovery)
Here's how it works. You'll first get a personalized video the day before your workout followed by a text version. If applicable, you'll also get a private video link to demonstrations on how to perform each exercise.
Your job is to complete the workout and then text us back photo-proof in the form of watch data, sweaty selfie, equipment display, etc. Your choice. That's it.
It's a daily accountability support system designed to boost your fitness goals, habits and lifestyle. You can do this and we can help!
Choose between two options:
Strength and Conditioning
Equipment: Dumbbells and/or Body Weight
Strictly Cardio (4 Plans)
Run Only, Bike Only, Swim Only or bike/run combo
All Bike and Run Workouts are Based on Your Rate of Perceived Exertion.
Membership is only $59 - All Sessions Begin the First of Every Month - Limited to 20 New Athletes Each Month - Signup Early!